Sunday, August 13, 2006

Dear Kasey

Today while we were driving in the car we were listening to the 80's station on XM. They were replaying an episode of America's Top 40 with Kasey Kasem from 1985. We enjoyed a few good songs (come on....who doesn't like Duran Duran?) and then Kasey read one of his famous request letters. The letter struck me as a bit odd (most of the letters people write him are quite similar). Now...I have made requests on radio stations before. I would think that many people have. Heck, I've even called in for some contests and even won a cd once. My point is that when I have made a request it was something like "Yes, could you please play "Alone in the Dark" by Testament?" or "How about some Skynard?". The letters written to Kasey are much more than that.....way more!
Todays letter was from a woman who grew up being abused by her father. Her sister was too. The sister ended up on drugs and was sent to a hospital. She came back home and fought with the mother and then got kicked out. So the sister (the one writing the letter) took her in only to end up giving her back to the courts and now her sister hates her and oh by the way...."Could you play "You have a friend" by Carole King?"
What?
Why spend the time writing your life story to request a 3 minute song? Did this woman sit by the radio for hours every week waiting to hear her letter? Does she think the sister heard it? Will the sister now forgive her? Please.....what a waste of time. Just go out and buy the cd (actually 45 back in 1985). If you feel that badly send the letter to the sister.
Anyway, I was thinking about making a request for song myself. Here is my letter:
Dear Kasey,
My name is Brad. I like to rock! I haven't been injured in a parachute accident, my wife didn't run off with the circus, I don't have a family of mexicans living in my basement....I just like to rock. So please play "I wanna rock" by Twisted Sister.
Thanks,
Brad

1 comment:

CMA said...

No, your wife did not run off to join the circus...she did, however, try to run away to a convent in High School. I bet circuses are more fun....