Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Out of the Ordinary

I'm about to do something rare. Politics is a topic you won't find me discussing. I feel that if I disagree with someone our conversation will be frustrating and no one will change an opinion. I tend to avoid these discussions. Before I continue I do want to mention that I do not belong to either political party. I vote for individuals, not a party. Being a teacher, education is a big part of my decisions. I read a quote the other day that infuriated me. I decided to post....

We are all familiar with the entire Don Imus situation. Clearly an ignorant man making an ignorant statement. I was glad to see Russell Simmons call out to rappers about leaving certain words out of their lyrics. Don Imus, however, is not the situation. Rush Limbaugh is. I have spent some time listening to the likes of Rush and even Bill O'Reilly. The discussions are interesting, also frequently based on ignorance. Time magazine published a quote from Rush regarding the massacre at Virginia Tech. (I cannot imagine what this must have been like for the students, faculty and families. A truly sad day in America.) This is the statement from Mr. Limbaugh "If this Virginia Tech shooter had an ideology, what do you think it was? This guy had to be a liberal." Are you serious? You are going to blame this horrible situation on a person's political beliefs? I cannot believe that anyone listens to this man and takes him seriously. Don Imus was fired for ignorant racial slurs against a basketball team. Mr. Limbaugh makes a statement like this and still has a job? Sometimes I don't understand.....

No thought to ponder this post......something funny doesn't seem right.

No comments: